Monday 12 July 2010

THE LIST........









I adore films.

They have informed so much of how I exist in the world.
The way I think, the words I choose, the clothes I wear, the way I wear them, the dreams i have, the people I meet.
From the earliest age, I remember holding on to those hazy visuals as some kind of refuge.
The first films I fell in love with were The Labyrinth, Back to the Future, Heathers,The Breakfast Club and so on. A few years on I met a girl in high school who had the biggest crush on old glamour, ol' fashioned films, ol' fashioned stars, the ol' fashioned way.
She introduced me to the lot of them, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Cable, Lana Turner. Mind you, I never saw all the films, it was more of an ideal we were attracted to. Posters on the wall, scarlet lipstick, dashing men. You get the drift.
Then there was my River Phoenix obsession, Film Noir, Elvis films, French New Wave, everything Luc Beeson, Woody Allen, Cheesy 80's la la la.....
Over the years I've been able to cull my list down to atleast 5 all time favourites, movies that make me feel that something, move me, inspire me, shake me. They are The Professional, Chinatown, Vivra Sa Vie, Pleasantville, Almost Famous, more recently, Let the Right Ones In, Anchorman, Donnie Darko, When You're Strange and La Vie En Rose.

It was an accidental stumbling upon the AFI's official list of what they consider to be the 100 greatest films of all time that has led me to this moment in time. The films, judged on a criteria considering "popularity over time", "critical acclaim", "cultural impact" and so on, helped to shape a fairly intimidating list of movies, most, of which, to my absolute horror, I have never actually seen. 23, is the exact number in fact, of the films I had seen on that list
Upon this humiliating realisation, I had decided to embark upon my own personal quest. Hence, 100 films in 100 days.
I do not promise to see a film a day, it may be 3 in one week, 3 in one day, nothing for a month, I'm a busy gal as I'm sure you are, its a dynamic time we live in and with all the distractions a town like London has to offer, this will in fact be a challenge.
Be it in between drinks, after hours or pre dawn, I will see each and every film on that list if it's the last thing i do!


No comments:

Post a Comment